Book of Marvels
Wednesday, December 20, 2006
 
Four Hundred Tubas Posted by Picasa

My husband pointed his camera at a plaster mermaid on the proscenium over stage right, poised above thirty tons of red velvet curtain and gold tassels. "You want me to take a picture?" he asked. "For your blog?"

"I'm not going to write about this for my blog," I said, with a bit more arch than necessary. "I'm going to write about how the FBI is turning cell phones into remote listening devices."

Then, a huge sepia-tinted Wurlitzer rose from the floor in front of the stage and a man, already seated there, began to play Christmas carols. All the people sitting in the theater rose to applaud-- the couples in matching sweat suits, the families in felt reindeer horns and those in Santa hats, the young parents with babies and grandparents and great-grandparents in tow, the students whose friends were cradling their tubas on the crowded stage, the people in holiday glitter and the glitterless, who might have come in just to get out of the cold. It was the 27th free Tuba Christmas in Akron, Ohio, at the amazing Akron Civic Theater.

I'm sorry for all of you who missed it. Sorry, especially, for those of you who will always miss it, who live in fabulous coastal cities and have to pay a fortune for a night out. A night out that will never be like one in Akron, after all. Soon, the mighty Wurlitzer sank into the floor again. Four hundred musicians lifted their tubas--some decorated with silver garlands, some with holly, some with twinkle lights hooked up to battery packs--and the conductor explained that they would play each song all the way through, then again for the audience to sing along. They began with "Oh Come, All Ye Faithful," which sounded at first like the murmuring of melodious bullfrogs. The people sitting in back of us pulled bells out of their pockets and shook them at the word "joyful." It was hard to match my singing voice to the tuba register, but I reached into the depths of my chest and managed.

A few nights before, my husband and I had watched "It's A Wonderful Life" on television. I was passing through the living room and he told me it was coming on, so I sat down--thinking to stay just a second--and said, "I don't think I can watch this yet again." But I did, of course. And became immediately weepy, even before the story started. I guess this movie is one of those cultural artifacts that crank up the rusty parts of my emotional machinery, just as Christmas itself does. Because they're wired to the memories about the people and configurations of my past, to the possibilities and certainties I've left behind? It seems too reductive to say even that, vague as it is. The movie was intended to be a happy tearjerker, with its themes of loyalty and hard work and kindness and self-sacrifice. It was also a paean to ordinary, flawed people doing their best in small places. It wins my tears for that alone.

I got a little weepy at Tuba Christmas, too, for most of the same reasons-- after all, it was Bedford Falls all over again. And maybe for one reason more. I've wanted to drive down to Akron for this annual event for the last fifteen years, and it turned out that four hundred tubas playing together was even more wonderful than I'd imagined.
 
Comments:
What a beautiful little post, K! Just never know what resonates. Embracing serendipity is one of the best things about being a writer.

By the way, I read your posts on FX query forum today. They were very good. I finally renewed my subscription after a six-month lapse and am getting back into the pitching habit.
 
Those in the front row are baritones and euphoniums. I know because that was my horn of choice for six years in school. I had arms about as big as Olive Oyl's, and I lugged that thing everywhere. Beautiful horns, though: they blend with everything.

Merry Christmas, K.
 
That must have been such a wonderful evening. And free! You're one lucky woman.

It's been years since I've seen [and sobbed through the ending of] It's A Wonderful Life. Time to put it in the netflix cue and show it to my children, don't you think?

xo, BL
 
Hi, all-- nice to see you!

Tana, those instruments are so gorgeous. Put me in mind all over again to start music lessons next year.
 
Thanks for your visit to my blog! When I was in Kabul I would go to Debbie's for my haircuts and to get my legs waxed by her 'trainees'. Her stories entertained me no end (especially the way she would tell me intimate tales about her husband even when he was in the room!). So I look forward to reading your book!

No free tuba concerts here in Herat, but my boyfriend and I spent all day today baking Christmas cookies and I just put the finishing touches on my ginerbread men... Gotta make Christmas where you can.

Thanks again for your lovely feedback.

Merry Christmas.
 
Beautiful story. Thank you.

I love that movie for that same reason "paean to ordinary, flawed people doing their best in small places"

Well put.
 
I was out of the state for Christmas, so missed the tuba concert ... even if I had been here, I would have missed it since I did not know it was an event.

I'll be there next year, for sure. Thanks!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

ARCHIVES
July 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 / October 2006 / November 2006 / December 2006 / January 2007 / February 2007 / March 2007 / April 2007 / May 2007 / June 2007 / July 2007 / August 2007 / October 2007 / December 2007 / March 2008 /


Powered by Blogger